In order to help inform our planning and design there will be a number of opportunities for you to have your say and receive further information.
This has now closed. We thank everyone for their responses, with 260 people providing us with feedback. This will be used to help inform our future planning for the New Ocean Village.
Here are some of the key findings from what you told us:
- There was very strong support for Ocean Village Shopping Centre being revitalised as it is currently seen by the majority of people as being tired, outdated and unappealing.
- The majority of survey respondents visit the centre only once a week or less.
- Key priorities for improving the centre include enhancing its appearance; increasing the range and type of dining venues; the provision of a small bar/licensed venue; and increasing the diversity of stores and services.
- If the centre is to be more successful there is a need for high-quality customer service, cleanliness and a greater range of stores and services.
- Over half of the survey respondents never visit the adjoining Village Gardens parkland, but still see it as an important asset, with many respondents desiring improved amenities such as better lighting and an improved playground.
- A number of respondents identified the opportunity to provide alfresco or outdoor dining that took advantage of the ocean and park views.
- Larger sized apartments, access to views and larger balconies were identified as the most important features in an apartment.
A series of Focus Groups were held in 2018 with residents giving their feedback on the centre and sharing their aspirations for A New Ocean Village.
Next Opportunity to Get Involved
The survey and initial Focus Groups were the first step in us commencing conversations about how the Ocean Village Shopping Centre can be improved.
We will be undertaking further consultation this year and also hold a number of community workshops/focus groups about the future planning of the Ocean Village Shopping Centre precinct.
>Register to get involved.